We all get to points, especially in that 20 something’s transition period, where we find social media is doing no good. Just harm.
I’ve decided to get away from it all – well mostly. I have deactivated my Facebook (thankfully there isn’t a limit of days before they delete it completely) and the Twitter account I created where I don’t follow anybody I know- it’s my secret account for when I need to word vomit. There is something extremely freeing about not second guessing your posts because people you know can view them.
There are two sites I feel are not unhealthy for me. Instagram and Tumblr. I feel I can laugh and express myself freely on these sites. They are therapeutic so I have decided to keep them – for now.
I have been on the edge with snapchat because there have been many times it has made me feel bad about myself. But remember – you can’t compare your behind the scenes to others highlight reels. So I will delete this off of my phone if it becomes a problem, otherwise I will practice checking my snapchat once a day. Middle of the day would be a good time.
With my senior year coming up I need to focus. This year will be jam packed and getting rid of distractions can only help my worries.
I want to gradually get rid of a lot of things.
Netflix (I will probably cry when this happens) but I would like to delete my account because I end up watching shows and getting invested in things just because I have nothing else to do. I want to get so bored that (because Netflix won’t be there to satisfy my attention) I will have more time to be productive or adventure in my last year of undergraduate. Also the amount of TV I watch. This goes hand in hand with Netflix. Less filling up my time with things I’m not passionate about and more focusing on what’s important. I won’t get rid of it completely, I’ll probably pick a couple of shows that I’ll watch that are currently running and keep up on those. Me and my roommates are planning to watch a couple of shows – scandal, how to get away with murder, empire – together the day after it airs as a big group. I’ll probably watch like two other shows on my own -bachelor and PLL?
- I will use this site to express myself so I can write about my experiences in my last year in undergrad. Some long posts like this, or some super short ones.
- I will start some type of weekly exercise – not lifting weights because you have to find what works for you an exercising can be fun. Probably find a tennis partner while weather is good and find a partner to go to a free workout class every week on campus. Also try to go on a bike ride on the weekends while weather is good.
- I want to start handwritten journaling – mostly my daily devotionals. Some can be “other” but I will mostly use those for that.
- Obviously focusing on school. 18 credits means nooooooo slacking. I need to spend a couple hours in the library or coffee shop a day!!!!
- I need to spend time putting in weeerk for my internship.
- Going on adventures and just enjoying life, laughing more and “loving my neighbor” more.
- I also want to try and write a couple blog posts for online issues like thoughts catalog, relevant or converge
- And last but not least, live more in the present and less in my head.
All things are possibly through Christ. So I pray for this school year. May I be able to handle it AND enjoy it, and spread my joyfull attitude (through the struggles) that can spread to those around me. May j be proud of how I handle the school year and may I not get discouraged.
Amen and Gah Bless!